Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ancient Buddhist wisdom about me and Wine Spectator

Last week I spent two days and nights in mental agony. Then I thought about what the Dalai Lama and Jesus teach.

My Lesson from the Vineyard: I had written and submitted a 2000-word travel feature to Wine Spectator magazine about Chateau Changyu AFIP winery in China. The WS editor assigned to me for the piece made some great suggestions, but said overall
it's a great article. However,........

When I first pitched the story idea, the top editor hesitated at my mention of leading a China
photo/wine tour as a potential conflict of interest. But it was decided we should proceed. I worked hard on the article, submitted it and was ready to rewrite per my editor's suggestions. Then stars misaligned. While rewriting the article, my assistant sent out a press release about the Photo/Wine Tour. The WS executive editor received a copy. He killed my story. A conflict of interest.

I was devastated. I couldn't sleep. In my mind, this was my one chance at a feature for the National Geographic of the Wine World.

At some point in my sleepless stupor, I thought about what the Dalai Lama and Jesus teach. (In my own clumsy words) Don't desire earthly things. Don't become attached.

So I let it go.

I would like to hear if you have had similar experiences. How did you get out of the disappointment?

No comments: