Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Why do you travel?

Snuggly flying 35,500 feet above the Rocky Mountains towards destination Missouri Wine Country, I'm re-reading Phil Cousineau's book The Art of Pilgrimage: "We travel as seekers after answers we cannot find at home, and soon find that a change of climate is easier than a change of heart. The bittersweet truth about travel is embedded in the word, which derives from the older word travail, itself rooted in the Latin tripalium, a medieval torture rack."

So why did I heed the invitation of JaiMin Dierberg to visit Hermann, MO, exactly when I have two big article deadlines? I suspect that a journey without challenge has no meaning and one without purpose has no soul. My thread is finding Vineyard Light. My passion is discovering the spirit, the why of people.

Why do you travel?

No comments: