Thursday, November 17, 2011

What do you see in this African Myth Image?

Besides photographing and writing about wine, I'm also working on a large project I call Africa's Undiscovered Myths. For the past 10 years I've gone to the most remote tribes in Africa–because DNA tells us that modern man walked out of that continent–to learn from storytellers, witch doctors, shamans and chiefs about their myths and archetypal dreams. Anthropologists tell me that I'm the only person to have recorded these oral stories. Then I create photo illustrations of those stories.
From the Suri tribe in Ethiopia's Omo region, this is an illustration of Chief Bolagadong's dream where his grandfather told him to take care of the orphans of the tribe. Dreams are very important to these tribes.

I will have a huge gallery show of this work at Napa Valley's Mumm Winery Gallery in March 2012, so I desperately need feedback. The final image will actually be at least 16X20.

What do you see in the image?

No comments: