Saturday, December 26, 2015

Our faces: are they given, earned or do we just grow into them?


So my subject's face: was it a mask given her, did she earn it with her personality, or did she just grow into it? So how did she get her face?


Bume (sometimes called Nyangatom or Bumi) tribe, Omo region, Ethiopia, Africa.

While photographing the Bume tribe in the remote Omo region of Ethiopia, this one woman began shouting and making fun of me. 

In response, I pretended to threaten her in an exaggerated, humorous way. Others laughed at my dancing antics. Even my serious subject squeezed a pimple-sized smile from her face.


Bume (sometimes called Nyangatom or Bumi) tribe, Omo region, Ethiopia, Africa.

So how did my subject friend get her face?


All photographs and text © 2015 Janis Miglavs
janis@jmiglavs.com

No comments: