Thursday, August 7, 2014

Are you a human making a spiritual journey or spiritual being making a human journey?


“We had thought that we were human beings making a spiritual journey; it may be truer to say that we are spiritual beings making a human journey.” So wrote the French philosopher, Jesuit priest, geologist, paleontologist and one of the discoverers of Peking Man, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

In January of this year I journeyed to the Mursi tribe in Ethiopia's remote Omo region to learn about their view of the spiritual world. Looking at this photograph is like looking into a mirror at my own life. It reminds me that the Mursi in Belle village spent their days as I do most of mine, a mere human existing in the day to day.

"That's god. That's Mursi god," was what the oldest Mursi elder in Belle village said when I showed him an image I had drawn from descriptions given by other Mursi elders on previous trips. His reaction was immediate. No hesitation.

So which are you, a human or spiritual being on an earthly journey?

No comments: